Home
Forum
The Tarsoly
Our Findings
Our Hussar Sabretaches
Illustrative Art
Contemporary Craft
Prepare my own Tarsoly

Hozzáadhatod e lapot a kedvencekhez
Tarsolybearers’ Homepage

Hungarian    The tarsoly cover plate of Szolyva    English
Hozzáadhatod e lapot a kedvencekhez

Leather tarsoly

 

 

 

e-mail:e-mail me!

 
It was thought to have been a headgear finial.
The tarsoly cover plate of Szolyva
Photo: József Hapák, data: Ancient Hungarians, Magyar Nemzeti Múzeum 1996

Provenance:
Once Bereg county, today Svaljava, Ukraine, in the valley of the river Latorca. This is the ancestral road that linked Verecke, the most important Carpathian pass with Munkács, Beregszász and Ungvár.

Discovery of the finding:

On 24, July, 1870., Tivadar Lehoczky a pioneer of archaeological investigations, while opening a trial trench, found the grave of a warrior buried with his horse, the fourth Return home age grave known at the time. Lying beside the skull, there was a silver gilt tarsoly cover plate, slightly bent. Lehoczky interpreted it as a headgear finial. He also noted the remains of felt, hair or some kind of fur beside the plate.

Material:
Silver gilt foreplate.

Size:
125x113 mm.

Preparation method:
A fluted ribbon border frames the plate. The pre-drawn lines of the design were chased using a tracer. The plate is entirely flat. The so-called triple dot motif was a distinctive element in the ornamental repertoire of a Sogdian workshop in Central Asia. With the row of cast, imitation hanging tassels at the top of the plate the craftsman possibly wanted to translate the appliqué ornament of leather tarsoly-s into metal. The background of the design was lavishly gilded, the design was left in the silver-white colour of the metal itself. Certain details of the pattern can be made out on the reverse of the plate. Washers were placed under the ends of the rivets in order to attach the plate securely to the felt tarsoly.

 

Detail of the tarsoly cover plate of Szolyva
Photo: József Hapák, data: Ancient Hungarians, Magyar Nemzeti Múzeum 1996
   
Drawing of the tarsoly cover plate of Szolyva
József Huszka: History of the Magyar Turanian Ornamentation

Artwork:
The heads of the five silver rivets recall three types of palmette leaves. The design recalls the ornamentation of the tarsoly plate of Galgóc. The trefoil palmettes, arranged into three vertical rows, form a reticulated pattern, but the workmanship differs. The space between the horizontal leaves of the palmettes and the frame of the vertical leaf was filled with dense hatching. The inward-twirling tip of the palmette and the lines of the veins terminate in a punched dot, while the veins of the horizontal leaves often terminate in three dots. This is the so-called “triple dot” motif. The infinity of the scrollwork pattern is reflected in its termination: the lowermost palmettes are linked to the two outer rows. One unique ornamental element of the Szolyva tarsoly plate is the row of imitation hanging tassels at the top. Four cast silver mounts of three ‘tassels’ and one-half of a tassel mount were riveted to the ribbon border. The ‘tassel’ mounts have a beaded horizontal band at the top. The ornamentation of the plate is an analogue to the one of the Eperjeske 2 plate.

Usage:
Signs of extensive wear and the damage indicate that it was in use for a considerable length of time. The tarsoly bearing this plate must have been made of felt. This would give the reason for the application of the row of imitation tassels at the top of the plate.

Inventory number:
Magyar Nemzeti Múzeum, Budapest - 148/1870.5.

Literature:
Pulszky 1891, 14, 19.; Hampel 1900, 707-708.; 1904, 110-112.; 1905, II. 593. III, Taf. 400/3, 401/1.; Lehoczky 1912, 84.; Fettich 1935, 15.; 1937, 78, LIV-LV. t.; 194, 12-13, 8. t.; László 1943, 23, VI. t.; 1970, picture No. 64, 169.; 1970a, Fig. 169.; Dienes 1970, 38.; 1972, 60, 4. t.; 1972a, Fig. 4.; 1975, 97.; 1976, 101.; Kresz 1978, 344-346.; 1979, 62-66.

Detail of a former map
The provenance of the tarsoly finding can be found on this map detail of Bereg county from 1904?.
Source: Map-collection of the National Széchényi Library of Budapest

Back